How to install a countertop
COOK WITH EASE
A modern design places everything you need within reach.
ENTERTAIN STRESS FREE
A spacious and organized kitchen you will be proud to show off.
Increase your home's value
Updated kitchen and bathrooms offer the best return on your investment.
Are you a jack-of-all-trades? When it comes to kitchen remodeling, do you strap on the tool belt and prefer to handle business yourself? Most DIY results are sweat-filled triumphs . . . until it comes to replacing your countertop.
Replacing a countertop can be problematic for even the most skilled handyman. Of the few things in life demanding perfection, the level of your countertop is one of them. Even a slight incline in your new countertop’s surface can lead to massive problems. Here are a few tips to make sure that your countertop installation doesn’t get the best of you.
The Right Tools
Without the right tools, your countertop renovation is doomed from the get-go. If you are working with post-form laminate countertop, the correct tools make all of the difference. To be successful, you will need the following:
- Belt sander
- Caulk gun
- Wood glue
- Scribing tool
- Plumber’s putty
Depending on the type of countertop you are installing (and whether or not it is attached to your sink) you may also need additional plumbing and specialized carpentry tools. You may have to ask the seller of the countertop about any special tools or materials needed.
The Basic Steps
No two countertop installations are identical. Be sure to do your research before beginning your installation: ask questions to the seller of your countertop, watch an example installation online, and read installation guides. Be sure to take exact measurements and draw a sketch of what the final product should look like beforehand. While each countertop has its unique tendencies, your installation will likely follow these steps:
- Create a blueprint: make exact measurements. Mark these measurements and cut lines on the countertop.
- Remove the old countertop and sink: start by detaching all piping. Next, remove the faucet. Take out the sink and you’ll be ready to remove the countertop. This will entail unscrewing and prying.
- Scribe your countertop: pre-drill any screw holes. Make sure your countertop is a perfect fit by scribing any excessive material. Be sure to only take off a little of a time—you can’t add cut off countertop back on.
- Attach the countertop: now that your countertop fits perfectly, join the miters. Use caulking by the wall seams. Attach the underface with wood glue and screws (if applicable).
- Make the sink cut-out: cut out a hole for your sink. It is best to cut a hole that is too small and gradually widen it to avoid overcutting.
- Install the sink: reattach the sink, faucet, and plumbing.
- Attach backsplashes: this usually requires wood glue and caulking.
Share this post!
MCK Kitchens and Bath offers professional and high-quality kitchen cabinet remodel services across the Halifax area. At MCK we pride ourselves on providing superior products and a superior customer service experience in Halifax.
A quick Google search will provide millions of horror stories from home owners who share kitchen remodeling nightmares. From remodeling contractors who don’t provide adequate services to design flaws that make kitchen’s almost unusable there is no shortage of people who have had remodeling experiences that failed to meet their expectations.
Homeowners thinking about remodelling their kitchen usually want to update the look, enhance the space and create a kitchen they will love. But did you know that a kitchen remodel drastically increases the value of your home?
Kitchen & Bathroom Cabinetry
2 - FREE Consultation
Work with a professional to design the kitchen and bathroom cabinets of your dreams
3 - We plan, coordinate, and install
Kick back and relax while we take care of all the details, informing you every step of the way
4 - Love your kitchen and bathrooms again
Enjoy the new look, storage space, and efficiency your new kitchen and bathroom cabinets bring
MCK Kitchen & Bath
Address: 19 Akerley Blvd, Dartmouth, NS B3B 1J7
Phone: (902) 468-6453
Hours Of Operation
- Sunday Closed
- Monday 9a.m.–5p.m.
- Tuesday 9a.m.–5p.m.
- Wednesday 9a.m.–5p.m.
- Thursday 9a.m.–5p.m.
- Friday 9a.m.–5p.m.
- Saturday Closed
- Evening Appointments by Request
Kitchen Cabinets Made in Halifax, Canada